Monday, May 9, 2022

100 MILE GARAGE SALE FINDS

                                 The earth laughs in flowers.  🌷🌷 Ralph Waldo Emerson


Les and I went to the 100 mile garage sale on Thursday. It was a bit chilly but we survived. I even turned on the seat heaters when we jumped back into the car! And it's May! But that's Minnesota for you!

Sadly we did not find many antique or vintage treasures at garage sales. We stopped at an old antique shop that we had been to previously, found a few things and had an interesting visit with the owner. We mostly shopped at his big warehouse where prices are lower and negotiable. He mentioned that his father who started the shop is 84 and they keep the shop going so his father has something to do that keeps him busy. "It's really the thing that's keeping him alive," he said. Then we spent a bit of time in the antique shop where the prices are quite high. For example, my husband looked at a cane for $1, 560! Nope! Not buying that!



Warehouse with negotiable prices

We stopped at the Pottery Place where the Red Wing brand of stoneware, jugs, and dishes used to be made. It now houses shops, an antique mall, and restaurants. 



Giant kiln?

Time for lunch and we ate at our favorite little Scandinavian cafe, called, The Pie Plate Cafe. Just a cute little cafe tucked into the balcony and then underneath the balcony.  It makes the best homemade pies! After our lunch there was no room for pie so we took our pie to go! You can't leave here without having some pie! If you live near Red Wing, Mn or are traveling through, this is a MUST STOP!

Chicken Cranberry Salad Sandwich

Ham and Cheese only because my husband made them take off all the good stuff! LOL

Les waiting for our pie!

                                         


       Saw this little mug in the gift shop at the cafe. Nice to know I'm not the only now who does this! Anyone else?

 

Grouping of my finds!

Four of these Glassbake dishes up close


I'm guessing this is Christmas In Denmark!


Illustrations and stories about Christmas.


OK so not a big haul this time! I DID go to an Estate Sale with my daughter a couple of weeks ago and was able to pick up some fun treasures. I'll share those in another post.

But sadly, Miss Mustard Seed's garage sale was cancelled! I guess she had been selling from her garage before the event if people called and wanted to see what she had so she was running out of stuff to sell and then fell and broke her foot. What a bummer for her! So I missed out!

Oh and I dropped my cell phone while shopping which I discovered when we stopped to eat. So we had to backtrack to every place we had stopped. We left Les' cell number in case they found it. We tried calling it at every place we stopped and never heard it ringing so I was beginning to worry that either someone had taken it or my ringer was turned off! My whole life was in there! Well at least it seemed like it! 

We didn't find it that day but the next morning, the guy from the antique shop called and said they found it! Yaaaay!! But I had to take another trip out of town to get it. When I received it I had, indeed, turned the ringer off on my phone. Lesson #1: Make sure ringer is on when leaving the house! My daughter, however, went one better. She set up the phone so we could track it if it was lost! Something I had neglected to do on my phone. Seemed too complicated! Lesson #2: Don't neglect to do things just because they seem too complicated! Ask your kids to do it for you!


Thanks for stopping by!

Sandy


No comments:

Post a Comment