Friday, November 12, 2010

THANKSGIVING....SIMPLY

Thanksgiving is on it's way! I know some people are already getting up their Christmas decorations but I won't begin Christmas preparations until after Thanksgiving. So right now I'm preparing for the DAY TO GIVE THANKS! I enjoy the time beginning after Halloween all the way through New Years! To me it's one big Holiday! But between Halloween and Thanksgiving, I can focus on SIMPLICITY!

Thanksgiving is a holiday that has not become as commercialized ( well, not TOO much ) as other holidays. The focus can remain on giving thanks and sharing a meal with family and friends. Simple!

I spend the time beforehand cleaning and bringing in gourds, pumpkins, pinecones, bittersweet, and fall colored flowers, anything natural that I can bring in to decorate with. I don't buy anything "Thanksgivingy" to use as I want THIS holiday to remain unspoiled by commercialized products. If you're trying to avoid too much commercialization in holidays and simplifying your life, start with Thanksgiving. It's so easy to do and you can decorate and set beautiful tables with natural products.

 I USED to buy a big lovely Thanksgiving flower centerpiece for the table but then right after Thanksgiving I wanted to be all about Christmas with reds and greens so this fall colored centerpiece didn't fit in. And since they usually last a week, I felt it was a waste. Now I use what I have found in natural materials and it can be just as elegant and some of the items can fit into your Christmas decor as well.

Today I'm going to share some ideas for decorating. Below are some photos taken from Country Living with ideas for natural table decor for your Thanksgiving dinner.





In my next post, I'll share more ideas on how to make THIS THANKSGIVING simple, festive, and fun!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy! I SO agree! I love Thanksgiving, too, and for all those reasons. It happened gradually over the years, that Christmas began to take a back seat! BTW, I just posted about simple pleasures today, if you'd like to pop over and see! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WILL pop on over! Thanks for stopping by!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete