Thursday, October 11, 2012

APPLE PICKING AND APPLE CRISP

 Apple picking in the Fall is something we always did with our children when they were growing up. It's a great way to enjoy the fruits of the season, get some exercise and fresh air, and actually SEE where our food is grown. Now that we have grandchildren it's fun to take THEM along. This year we took our grandson, Charlie. He just turned four and he has been apple picking for four years now with his Mom and Dad. This year he came along with us when everyone in his family was in school or at work.

We rode a wagon out to the apple orchard and it was a cold but sunny day. After walking between the rows of apple trees the sun warmed us and the trees shielded us from the cold wind so it was very pleasant. 
                     Charlie  enjoyed picking the apples off the tree and eating them right there.

Our favorite apples are the Haralsons which are tart and great for baking as well as eating right off the tree.


                                                                        Here's some of our haul!

             The apples arrived home to be baked into apple crisp using my grandmother's BIG mixing bowl. I'm sharing that recipe here. It's simple and not only delicious but fills the house with the most wonderful cinnamon-apple scent!  It's one of my favorite fall treats that I look forward to every year.

                                                         APPLE CRISP

8 large apples ( cut up )
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix sugar and cinnamon and  then sprinkle over cut-up apples. Stir to coat all apples with mixture.
Place coated apples in a 9x9 baking pan.

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 oatmeal
1/2 butter

Mix above ingredients and sprinkle over apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes.


ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. How fun! And the apples look delicious! I made an apple crisp last night...it's one of the "staples" for Fall :) I will have to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy!! Thank you for the recipe. We picked a lot of apples too and I needed a recipe for apple crisp. Isn't that fun to do?! I just love fall.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love apples and eat several every day. My favorite are Jonathans and then Grannysmiths. I like crisp and tart and crisp, tart with sweet. So I think I would enjoy Haralsons; I have never had those...that I know of anyway.

    This is a wonderful post, so happy and pleasant.

    :)Hope

    ReplyDelete