Tidy Home, Tidy Mind.
A book that has been on the best seller list in recent years is the book about being tidy called, "The Life Changing Magic Of Tidying Up". I hear it is VERY INVOLVED! But WOW, "life changing"? I Do want to keep tidy but I'd kind of like to simplify it a bit. So since two of my "intentions" this year are to de-clutter AND simplify, I came up with 12 ways to tidy up that only take one minute or less each. I think if I follow these simple and quick tips, that keeping our tidier home would be, well, maybe not "life changing" but at least... easier. My husband has agreed to help so one person doesn't have to do EVERYTHING on the list. So that makes it even easier. I'm also going to make a chart of the list so we can each make a check by each item after we've done it. Okay, maybe a mental checklist for my husband as he doesn't get into these kind of written details.
With two of us, if we split it up evenly, we only have to do 6 things each! That's only 6 MINUTES a day! It WILL take a bit of habit changing. But still, these things are simple and only take one minute or less. We can do this!
But why is it important to keep our home tidy? Here are some REASONS for keeping our (and your) home neat and tidy:
1) It creates a calmness in your life.
2) It helps make deeper cleaning easier.
3) It gives you more time to relax and enjoy life.
4) It helps you find things easier so you don't get stressed out looking for things.
5) It keeps your home safer so you don't trip on"stuff" just laying around.
6) Your home is always ready for unexpected guests.
7) A tidy home is a happy home.
8) It helps keep your mind clear.
And I'm sure there are even MORE reasons for a tidy home but these should be enough to really want to keep your home neat and tidy. So now that you have the reasons for a tidy home, let's look at HOW to keep your home neat.
Listed here are the 12 simple tips Les and I are following. I know some of you do this already ( and without the list ) but Les and I have gotten a bit lazy in retirement and need some motivation here. So here they are:
ONE-MINUTE ACTIVITIES TO A TIDY HOME
1) Make your bed every morning. ( I know, you hear this all the time, but it sets the habits for the day as soon as you get out of bed )
2) Wipe up spills immediately.
3) Put dishes in dishwasher as soon as you are done with them.
4) Empty dishwasher every morning or as soon as it is finished.
5) Wipe off kitchen counters every night.
6) Put things back in their home after using them.
7) Pick up any "stuff" left out and put them where they belong. (If you are following #6, this should be less and less )
8) Hang up clothes right away or place in clothes hamper after you change.
9) Sweep kitchen floor once a day to keep crumbs at bay.
10) Keep a basket in a closet for things you don't need any more. If you come across an item you want to give-away, put it in this box.
11) Once a day, take a wet wipe and wipe down bathroom sinks.
12) Have a container for all incoming mail. From there. file your mail immediately into designated "homes" such as "bills to pay", "need quick response", or throw away.
So we'll be trying this now and let you know how it's working.
Thanks for stopping by!