Thursday, August 12, 2010

A VERY FUN DAY

Yesterday was my birthday so here's what we did: Les and I got up and had a leisurely breakfast. I  was surprised to find many "Happy Birthday"'s on my Facebook page which I don't use often but I took the time to answer each one. Thanks again everyone! : )

 After that Les and I were off to do some "Day Tripping" along the Mississippi River. From Minnesota we crossed the River in Wabasha to arrive in Wisconsin on the other side of the River. All along the River are many little river towns filled with quaint shops, antiques, art galleries, wonderful restaurants, and gorgeous views of the Mississippi. We stopped at all the little  shops whenever we came across them and saw some fun and interesting things. I took my camera along but got so enthralled in all the goodies I forgot to take some photos... Until we came to Stockholm, Wisconsin. It's one of our favorites on this trip around the Mississippi. It must have been settled by Swedes? There were even Swedish flags all around.  We had lunch at The Bogus Creek Cafe which got it's name from the creek running through the outdoor eating area. THE BOGUS CREEK got it's name from a settler who made counterfeit ( bogus ) money and when he realized he was going to be caught,  threw all his money- making- paraphernalia into the nearby creek. Apparently when they built the cafe, they found a lot of money making artifacts from the caper. Here's a photo of the outside eating area:
BOGUS CREEK CAFE

Stockholm is a quaint little village of 97 people but has extraordinary shops, fine dining, 6 B&B's or Inns and many special events throughout the year. The area is full of little places to sit and enjoy the scenery. 












The seating areas were sweet but unmatched  by the beauty of the NATURAL surroundings of lake, river, and bluffs.












Back home again with cards in the mail, more B-day wishes via e-mail and Facebook and then dinner out with family ( great fun! ) followed by Daube's Bakery cake ( if you're from Rochester, you know what I"m talking about )....YUMMMM!

Yes, I just turned 7 years old! : )

That's my B-Day and Oh yeah, there were LOTS OF PRESENTS TOO!
                                                              THANKS, EVERYBODY!  LOVE YOU!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a nice outing and a happy birthday. If, a big if, I ever get to that part of the country I would certainly be interested in seeing this quaint town. I love small towns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a very Happy Birthday trip! I bet those shops were a lot of fun.

    Hugs XX
    Barbara
    Moore Whimmsies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! It's so very nice to meet you! You have a wonderful blog. Happy belated birthday! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments and for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it looks like you had a wonderful birthday! Happy Belated!

    ReplyDelete