Webster's dictionary defines "simplify" this way...to diminish in complexity, to reduce to basic essentials. The basic essentials to me are found in spending time with people I love and spending time in activities that I value.
I've listed 7 ways to begin the process of simplifying your life. Because it is a process. This will continue to be a journey ( persistent simplification ) of clarifying, editing, and being intentional. Clarifying what you value, editing out what is not important, and being intentional with your relationships, activities, time, and money.
This post will begin a four week online workshop ( Every Friday ) of learning how to simplify your life. Summer may not seem like the time to do this but it will help prepare you ahead of time so when Fall begins you will be ready to begin life anew with a simplified and calmer life. Sound good? Then let's get started!
This week just read through the beginning steps to consider when simplifying your life. In the following weeks I will explain more in depth what to do in the different areas, giving out specific assignments.
1) List what is important to you and what you value. ( What relationships and activities? )
2) Describe in one page what a simplified lifestyle would look like to you. Consider your home ( do you need to downsize?); vehicles ( do you really need more than one?); do you need to declutter your home?; are you too busy with your time?; etc. After describing your new "Simplified Life", does it bring a sense of relief in thinking about living your new simple version of life?
3) Begin editing ( decluttering ) your "stuff ". ( clothing, items in your home, maybe even downsizing your home, etc. )
4) Consider how you might discontinue those activities that are not on your list in #1.
5) Be intentional with new purchases, activities, etc., making sure they fit it with your new "Simplified Lifestyle".
6) Be intentional about organizing and planning. Having a place for everything helps organize your spaces. Planning the events and activities in your life helps organize your time. Both organizing and planning help simplify your life.
7) Make a list of simple pleasures in which to engage.
If you are interested in following this workshop, I would love to know. Please leave a comment and send me an e-mail. I would love to know how it is working for you and what you have discovered. We can all work on this together!
See you next week!
The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needed...it is a process of elimination. Elbert Hubbard