Monday, July 23, 2018

Seeking The Simple Life....In Baby Steps



Some of my TOO MUCH STUFF

My husband's name is Les. When we were dating, many many years ago now, his friends would always ask me, "Why settle for Les? You GET Les! Don't you want MORE?" They thought they were so funny!

But "Minimalism" is on the rise so "less"( Les )  is now "more", more or less!  Hah!

So while I am beginning to embrace a simpler lifestyle I'm realizing it's NOT ALL THAT SIMPLE. Especially when my current hobby/business is collecting and then selling vintage and antique treasures. Right now I have an inventory of 300+ items including some furniture, that are all waiting to be sold in my Etsy Shop, Gwen And Alma's, or at the local Gold Rush event, a local antique sale and flea market. While selling antiques started out as a hobby, it now makes enough income for  us to take our kids and grandkids on vacation every summer and do other fun things. And the thrill of the hunt makes me happy. My husbands hobby is golf but it doesn't make any money. Just sayin. 

So I'm not ready to give up my hobby just yet.   But I do really want to pursue a simpler lifestyle. I may not make it all the way to minimalism, but that's OK. So the question for me is,"Can I simplify my life while being in this business that I enjoy and provides us with fun benefits?" Oh yeah, and my other challenge in this is that my husband, Les, is a PACK RAT. He has a hard time letting go of ANYTHING! Ironic, isn't it? His name should really be MORE!

I don't believe that one has to become a " true minimalist" as some who believe that it includes downsizing to only having 100 things in your home or that you need to live in a "tiny home". But of course, that is just MY opinion.

Everyone's "simple life" may look different. Some may think it means letting go of lots of "stuff", while others may think it's about just getting back to the "basics".  I often think of Tasha Tudor when I think of downsizing, but I don't think I'd be able to live her lifestyle, romantic though it may be.

 So I'm on a journey to find the right kind of Simple Life that is right for ME. And while I do, I hope you'll follow along and discover your OWN Simple Life. 

But I'm going to try and keep it simple, taking BABY STEPS. Because who wants to make simplifying your life, well... complicated? Am I right?

So follow along as I "do this business" and try at the same time, to simplify my life. If you've been following along because you've shopped our Hob Nobber sales ( and have no plan to simplify your life ), stay tuned because I'll still be talking about vintage stuff and keeping you informed of upcoming sales (at Gold Rush now). Also, there will be updates on my Etsy Shop and as this blog begins to grow, I will have some Give-Aways from my Etsy Shop.

Follow my Facebook page at Gwen And Alma's!


No comments:

Post a Comment